After a stressful day of uni applications, all I felt like was coming home and devouring a packet of mint slice biscuits. Unfortunately since I turned vegan a year or so ago, that particular form of deliciousness has been out of reach… until now. After some tinkering in the kitchen I present my easy recipe for vegan (and can be gluten free) Mint Slice Biscuits.
1 ¼ cup plain flour (or gluten-free baking flour)
3/4 cup sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ cup vegan margarine
3 tablespoons soy, almond, or rice milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon pure peppermint extract
1/3 cup melted cacao butter
2 tbs melted coconut butter
1/2 cup nuttalex (or other vegan margarine)
3/4 cup icing sugar (more if the mixture is too runny)
1-2 teaspoons of peppermint extract
3 cups dark chocolate (dairy-free)
2 tablespoons nuttalex (or other vegan margarine)
1. Combine dry ingredients in food processor. Then add wet ingredients and combine in food processor until mixture comes together and a dough forms.
2. Wrap dough in cling film and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
4. Roll dough into approximately heaped teaspoon sized balls and place on a lined baking sheet.
5. Press the ball to about 1cm thickness and place in the over for 14mins.
6. Combine all ingredients in food processor until smooth paste forms.
7. Place in freezer for 45mins-1hour
Pulling it all together (mmmmmm…)
8. Mint filling should be firm and a little crumbly, scoop out approx teaspoon sized roll in hands to make it some together and a little more pliable then press into top of biscuits so its about 1/2 centimeter thick.
9. Melt the chocolate and margarine and mix well. Place each biscuit with mint filling into the mixture and coat. I found the easiest way to use a couple of forks to scrape off the excess.
10. Leave to set in a cool area.
11. Try not to devour the whole bunch at once 😉
Perfect for afternoon tea with friends ❤